Sunday, October 12, 2008

Celtics legend Cousy fired by Comcast SportsNet as analyst

Comcast SportsNet has fired former Celtic great Bob Cousy from his job as a courtside reporter, the Worcester Telegram & Gazette reported.

Cousy, 80, started his work as an analyst for Boston Celtics' games in 1974. He had been working 10 games in each of the past nine years as part of his consultant contract with the team.

Cousy had planned to return this season, but he was not retained. Steve Reagan, CSN vice president of programming and operations, told Cousy on Sept. 18 that network was moving on with out him.

"Some low-level executive called me and basically said that they decided to do two-man booths and they no longer needed my services," Cousy told the Worcester Telegram & Gazette. "I said thank you very much, have a good year and I hung up on him."

Celtics president Rich Gothman had called Cousy earlier in the day to tell him he'd have a position with the Celtics for life.

"The Celtics, in my judgment, said and did all the right things," Cousy told the Telegram & Gazette. "Comcast can hire or fire anyone they want. But after 34 years, I thought I needed a little more handling."

Cousy is not upset with the decision.

"You get to be 80, your priorities change," Cousy told the Telegram & Gazette. "I enjoy keeping my hand in in a minimal way. But obviously this is a very exciting time to depart after 22 years of mediocrity. All of a sudden, it's fun again for all of us. If I had my druthers, I would have preferred there not be a change, but is it a high priority item? I doubt it."

Check out my International spot

No comments: